Up to now the the previous posts on flatware manufacturing in Hartford have evolved into the gathering of information primarily on the original Rogers brothers, William Hazen, Asa Harris and Simeon Smith.
Now we discuss William Henry Rogers (son of William Hazen) and his cousin William Henry Watrous and the Wm. Rogers Manufacturing Company. Let’s start with Mr. Watrous and Wm.Rogers Mfg. from an 1889 editon of “Hartford, Conn., as a Manufacturing, Commercial and Business Center”.
Larger detail of building at 66-80 Market St. Hartford:
Below is the same building from “Connecticut Magazine” Vol. 9 1905 shortly after Simeon and George Rogers have moved in:
Next is a small collection of ephemera from Wm. Rogers Mfg. First is a pattern sheet from 1879:
Next is an advertisement from “The Houskeeper’s Friend” 1883 (Great London Tea Co.):
Below is a page from the Horton, Gilmore, McWilliams & Co. 1888 catalog:
Also from 1888:
Next is an ad from “Picturesque Boston An Illustrated Guide to the City of Boston” by J.A. & R.A. Reid 1889:
From the “World’s Fair” and “The Jewelers’ Circular” August 1893:
Next are some pages from a promotional pamphlet distributed by Wm, Rogers Mfg. in the 1890’s:
A couple of trade cards with part of the back highlighting “Hartford Silver Metal”. Was this the product of Hartford Manufacturing Company? (see earlier blog post)
Now will follow several articles on William Henry Watrous, the man behind Wm. Rogers Mfg. and for the most part these references should say all that need be said. Wm. Watrous was the son of Julia Etta Rogers Watrous sister of William, Asa & Simeon, the “original” Rogers Brothers.
The first is from the 1891 “Illustrated Popular Biography of Connecticut” page 89. of importance here is the purchase of the Kohn silk mill. Note the Taunton & Wickersham sites.
Next is from “Men of Progress” 1898 on pages 113 & 114:
Below is from the “Commemorative Biographical Record of Hartford County” 1901. Note the “Eagle Sterling Co.” and “Watrous Manufacturing Co.”:
Also from the “Commemorative Biographical Record of Hartford County” 1901:
The next two pages are from “Men of Mark in Conn” Vol 2 1906. Note “Ames Manufacturing Company” and “Norwich Cutlery Company”:
The final word on William Henry Watrous comes from “The Jewelers’ Circular” Volume 77, Issue 1 1918:
People thought a great deal of Mr. Watrous during his lifetime and after.
William Henry Watrous had a cousin named William Henry Rogers who also made an impression on the silver plate industry, but in a different way. He liked to call himself William Rogers Jr., as shown in one of the two listings from Geer’s below. The other indicates where Rogers Cutlery was located at the time.
Below is an interesting advertisement from May 1864 in the “The Conn War Record”:
Perhaps what “late W. Rogers, Jr.” means is that Fifield is at the same location William Hazen Rogers had occupied since the 1840’s. He was selling “Rogers’ Brothers superior plate”. Hmmm (thought they left town)… Edward R. Fifield married William Henry Rogers sister Sarah Agnes.
The following is from Illustrated Popular Biography of Conn. 1891 pg.90:
Next is from the “Geer’s Hartford City Directory” 1896. The disclaimer makes you wonder about the relationship between the cousins. Was this do to William Henry “selling” his name to Simpson, Hall, Miller & Company?
The following are William Henry Rogers design patents (the first was assigned to his wife Lucy). The patents marked SHM were assigned to Simpson, Hall, Miller & Co.
And another patent:
The last two born of the second generation were Simeon Lazell (1844) and George Henry (1846) sons of Simeon Smith Rogers:
From Connecticut Magazine, Volume 9, 1905, page 915:
And that was the last of the original Rogers brothers silverplating connection with the City of Hartford.